Relevance of roommate agreement form
The roommate agreement form encompasses the various requirements on daily basis that are necessary to run the household. Since this household is on shared basis, the responsibilities of every individual should be delineated in a written agreement. This agreement does not have legal basis which means you cannot go to a court of law to get your house hold activities in order. This agreement is based on mutual understanding.
Contents of a roommate agreement
The roommate agreement form should comprise of all the duties and responsibilities of all the roommates ranging from splitting of bill to kitchen cleaning activities. Since these activities cannot be done without they have to be discussed beforehand such as
- Splitting of rent should be the top priority when it comes to shared accommodation. There should be strict and clearly defined rules on how much will be paid by whom and who will take the responsibility of writing the check.
- The allocation of the rooms to each of the roommates.
- Cleaning is a big task and there should be consensus on who is going to do what and when. The cleaning includes that of kitchen, toilet, the floor of whole house, laundry etc.
- Payment of other rents like cable, internet etc The allowance of the guests and friends
- Time for the switching off or lowering the volume of TV
- The code of conduct during exam time
- Course of action on violation of agreement
- Opting out of the shared premises before the end of the lease and security deposits